• Ogłoszenie:

Why the change from 'pre'?

Wszystko odnośnie tworzenia grafiki - obróbka, problemy, oceny.
Tworzenia Stron internetowych - HTML, PHP, MySQL...

Why the change from 'pre'?

Postprzez DunogRamedu 13 Kwi 2023, 13:45

reklama
Back when I first learned PHP, it was known as "Pre-Hypertext Processor". The reason for this was that the PHP code would be compiled at the server level before the HTML code was constructed and sent to the browser. I understand that at some point it was changed to "PHP Hypertext Processor", but recursive acronyms often lead to confusion about the necessity of the first letter. Despite this change, I still believe that the original "Pre" accurately describes the role of PHP in the web development process.

When I researched the definition of "hypertext", it seemed quite generic: "a software system that links topics on the screen to related information and graphics, which are typically accessed by a point-and-click method." While there are many resources available that explain the concept of hypertext, it's clear that the "H" in PHP's acronym is fitting. Ultimately, PHP is responsible for running before the browser is able to access hypertext or construct it based on the remaining code.

Although it's possible to integrate PHP source code with HTML, JavaScript, and even CSS, most PHP code still exists prior to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. This is especially true with popular frameworks like Laravel and Symfony. Template engines like Twig effectively eliminate PHP from view code, while Blade still incorporates it, but both are parsed after the bulk of the underlying PHP has already been processed.

In the end, PHP always runs before browser-ran code like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and React. I've never seen a situation where a browser would run PHP for business purposes. By the time the browser receives the source code, the PHP has omeglz online 2yu already been processed.

Despite this, I don't understand why there is still so much criticism of the "Pre" in PHP's original name. It seems to me that it makes much more sense than a recursive acronym. Perhaps I missed the memo on why it was changed, or maybe it was changed simply for the sake of being clever, like something Richard Stallman might do.
DunogRamedu
~user

Dołączenie: 20 Sty 2023, 06:15

Powróć do Grafika & Webmastering

Kto jest na forum

Użytkownicy przeglądający to forum: Brak zarejestrowanych użytkowników oraz 9 gości