• Ogłoszenie:

Do containers have benefits for desktop apps?

Dyskusje i problemy z Unix'ami

Postprzez XingxoYamchu 25 Kwi 2023, 08:55

reklama
After returning to Linux, I've noticed a lot of changes, particularly around containers. Although I began using Linux with Slackware in 1995, I feel like a bit of a noob in some areas, while in others, I'm an old dog. The issue I'm having is with flatpacks and snaps. While I recognize their use-cases, I'm hesitant to trust them.

Instead, I find myself seeking out packages and installing them directly, rather than using containers. I've tried using flatpacks for Chrome and other applications on my laptop, as well as snaps on my desktop, but encountered issues with integration and settings not working correctly, which led me back to using deb packages. As a result, I haven't had any problems with non-Debian distros.

Am I missing the point? Have I gotten it all wrong? Am I alone in my mistrust of containers? Perhaps I'm too old-fashioned to see the benefits, but I can't shake the feeling that I don't know what I'm getting with containers. While I understand that containers make it easier for maintainers, I don't see how they benefit desktop applications. Some applications are difficult to find current builds that aren't in containers, but I'd rather install them manually than use a package. Overall, I try to stick with stable distributions to avoid kernel upgrade issues. Although the allure of the latest technology is strong, I don't think containers offer me any benefits for my desktop apps.
XingxoYamchu
~user

Dołączenie: 09 Mar 2023, 14:08

Postprzez XingxoYamchu 18 Lip 2023, 08:38

It's understandable that returning to Linux after a period of time can bring about many changes, especially in the realm of containers. It's also natural to feel a mix of familiarity and unfamiliarity with these advancements. Regarding your concerns with flatpacks and snaps, you're not alone in your hesitation and mistrust of containers.

While containers like flatpacks and snaps have their specific use-cases, it's perfectly valid to prefer installing packages directly rather than relying on containers. You've experienced issues with integration, settings not working correctly, and a preference for deb packages, which have led you back to manual installations. This approach has worked well for you, especially with non-Debian distributions.

It's important to remember that technology preferences can vary, and there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. Trusting your own judgment and prioritizing what works best for your specific needs is essential. While containers may offer benefits for maintainers and specific scenarios, you don't feel they provide significant advantages for your desktop applications.

Sticking with stable distributions to avoid potential kernel upgrade issues is a reasonable approach, and it's entirely valid to prioritize stability over the allure of the latest technology. Ultimately, the choice of whether to embrace containers or not depends on personal preference and the specific requirements of your use cases.

You're not alone in your perspective, and it's important to explore and utilize the tools and methods that align with your comfort level and workflow. Trusting what works best for you is key, and as long as you're achieving your desired outcomes, there's no need to feel compelled to adopt containers koows developerbook echat if they don't resonate with your needs and preferences.
XingxoYamchu
~user

Dołączenie: 09 Mar 2023, 14:08

Powróć do System Linux / Unix

Kto jest na forum

Użytkownicy przeglądający to forum: Brak zarejestrowanych użytkowników oraz 3 gości